My Personal Testimony

Just because you’re in Church Doesn’t Mean you’re in
Christ!


Been thinking about how I became a servant - I grew up in a Christian home in South Bend, Indiana as an only child.
I did well throughout school (like I had a choice – being an only child my parents kept a close watch on me). My mother wasn’t supposed to have children and being born premature I spend my first days of life in an incubator.
I was forced to go to church and participate in the holiday programs. I always said that first chance I got I was never going to go to church. Once I left home for college I thought I’m free of church but God put cast of student believers around me from around the country who thought as a group we should all be attending church on Sundays. Seemed I just couldn’t get away from God’s people. (Which reminds me it is important who you associate with).


Can't Run From God. . .
I tried to get away from Godly influences- yet even when I auditioned for my traveling college performing arts group the director made me recite the Lord’s Prayer during every performance. Still I had no desire to serve the Lord.


Making Money-Building A Name. . .

Coming home from college to do an internship at our local newspaper I was offered a job working as a producer for the television station which was owned by the same company that had the newspaper. Working, making money, gaining notoriety – basically I had become a local celebrity. I owned my own audio production company – again making money making music for TV, radio and local artist. Never had a worry about paying for entrance to the clubs, buying drinks or any of life’s pleasures. I didn’t spend anytime think of God I was too busy doing me.

Couldn't Catch A Break. . .

Thought my hometown was holding me back so I moved to Indianapolis. I left my hometown as a big fish in a small pond and went to where I thought I could immediately capitalize on my skill set. I knew because of MY GREATINESS my career would quickly advance. Listen here’s the shocker every door stayed closed except an invitation from Dr. T. Garret Benjamin the Senior Pastor at Light of the World Christian Church in Indianapolis Indiana. He made me Minister of Media Services. Here I was serving in one of the largest ministries in Indianapolis, leader over teams of seasoned Christians, but not living or knowing how to live as a Christian is supposed to. I was living a double life - In church but not in Christ.



My Daddy Got Sick. . .
Then my father’s health went bad and I moved my family back to South Bend. One day I got an automated message inviting me to a Bible Study (man I didn’t even own a Bible-but I started sneaking to the afternoon study).
All the time I’m trying to find what is missing from my life it appeared I had it all together, but I didn’t. In my professional world I was back to being a big fish in the media industry partying with the cream of the city’s elite, making money, rubbing elbows with people who made more money in a month then some will make in a lifetime. All this and I was still empty – still feeling as if something was missing. I tried to fill the hole with booze yet I could drink massive amounts of liquor and never get drunk no matter how much I partied. I would hang-out all night with my crew and constantly tell them that we were all missing something. Yea I was dressing in the best, driving the most expensive, even having the most extreme privileges and that wasn’t enough. I was hurting. I was empty. I was searching for what I needed in all the wrong places.


It Happened So Suddenly. . .

Then one Sunday morning after a Saturday night that only ended because I stopped and showered to get ready and go to church, during service I leaned over to my wife and complained that I could smell alcohol on someone’s breath. I quickly realized that it was my breath bouncing off the back of the head of the person in front of me.
Yea, it was me. I was the one in church reeking of alcohol. I had come face to face with the need to make a life choice – was I going to continue to try Christ, live for Christ or continue to live life in crisis trying to fill my life void with material things empty of Spiritual satisfaction and perishable possessions. As much as I tried I wasn’t sure where I was going – I didn’t have confidence that being a good person would have lasting benefits.


A Made Up Mind. . .
That day I made my mind up to live for Christ. Not only did I receive Christ as my Lord and Savior I went on a quest to learn how I could help my lost family and friends receive what I have. As a result the unexpected happened – I was called into ministry.
That was over 14 years ago, now I’m in my 11th year of pastoral leadership- from wanting to open a night club to being pastor of a small church for 7 years to planting a ministry almost 3years ago. God has used me to lead my family, church family and a community of people to growth in Christ.


Trust In Christ. . .

I’ve trusted Christ through victories and defeats, fiscal windfalls and times I was so broke I couldn’t pay attention. As a result I have been able to share my testimony all over the United States and in several countries in Africa.
I can honestly tell you that when I look back over my life I can say that had I not accepted Jesus as my savior, God’s love for me, God’s gift of His Son to pay for my sins and shame then I would have been either dead, depressed, strung-out or a danger to myself or others.
Jesus gave me hope, a promised future and freedom from guilt and shame. I feel free from my past. I was an only child but now I have many brothers and sisters because of the bloodline that Jesus used to connect me into the my new Christian family.
I started reading God’s Word with personal acceptance and my verse of liberation is 2 Corinthians 5:17 (Wordstudy KJV) 17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. This verse is what confirmed for me that being in church was not enough – I had to be in Christ…go where He goes do what He does, be intimate with Jesus every move.


Give Your Life. . .
Did you know that giving your life to Christ and learning His will for your life through God’s Word will do the same thing for you that it has done for others who have applied it’s truths to their life.
God is not a respecter of person and He desires for all of us to be saved. God has a plan for every life and it is easy to receive His gift. All I did was pray and acknowledge I am a sinner, confess Jesus as the only begotten Son of God who died for my sins. I said this prayer believing in my heart that I God loved and accepted me and was going to clean me up and use me in a might way to help build His kingdom.


Still Have Issues. . .

Now even though I still experience trials and challenges in my life I have the ability to overcome all by reminding myself that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
No I am not complete yet and I still have sin issues in my life so I have to work daily to become who God has called me to be. I have a different attitude and power to achieve because I believe and I lean on God's Word to direct my paths.

What's Your Testimony? As You Can See I Am A Living Testimony. . .

Comments

  1. thanks for sharing. You are being a "clearer and clearer" example of Jesus every day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bible Study In A Bowling Alley? Try It Thursday!

Stewardship

Reflections From Mother's Day